You There!

WebTaxi.com - taking you there!

Travel Warnings & Embassy Help

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office offers travel advice and warnings to aid British travelers abroad and provide them with the information they need for locations around the world. The Foreign Office makes informed assessments and provides UK citizens with risk advice, threats and natural disaster information relevant to a particular country.

Types of threats or risks include political unrest, war, natural disasters such as hurricanes, typhoons and earthquakes, terrorism, lawlessness and epidemics. The Foreign Office will advise against all but essential travel in these situations. You will also be asked to "consider leaving" a certain country if a situation starts to deteriorate and it may become difficult to exit the area in the near future, whether you do so or not is up to you. If conditions deteriorate further you will be given definitive advice to leave, again this is your choice.

British Embassies across the world with also be able to assist UK citizens with replacement passports, help you contact friends or family, provide a list of local lawyers in the event you require legal representation, and help you with contact information for local doctors. Consular officers will also assist you if you are a victim of crime and offer help and advice.

Asia and Oceania Travel Advice Notices

European Travel Advice Notices

Middle East and North Africa Travel Advice Notices

North and Central America and Caribbean Travel Advice Notices

South America and South Atlantic Islands Travel Advice Notices

Sub Saharan Africa Travel Advice Notices

Travel Warnings and Embassy Help for American Citizens

Before you embark on international travel it is advisable to check with the Office of American Citizens Services and Crisis Management (ACS) which will inform you of any travel alerts, country specific alerts and travel warnings. The ACS aims to protect and advise US citizens of any dangerous or risky conditions that could affect their safety and security while travelling abroad. You are strongly advised to head any travel warnings that are issued to protect yourself and your travelling companions.

By checking the Country Specific Information for the area you plan on visiting you will be able access to information on crime and security, visa information, the location of local consular offices and U.S. embassy. You will also be able to find out about localized hot spots, advice on medical and health conditions and information on drug penalties.

The ACS issues Travel Alerts for short term conditions and crisis events that could pose a risk including natural disasters such as typhoons or hurricanes, health alerts, demonstrations or terrorist activity. Once the emergency situation or condition is no longer a threat the Travel Alert will be lifted.

A Travel Warning is issued when it is unadvisable to visit a country at all. This would include civil wars, ongoing violence, unstable governments or threat of terrorist attack.

If you are a victim of a crime while abroad or find yourself in an emergency situation you are advised to contact your nearest U.S. Embassy where an advisor will assist you and provide information on what to do next. A consular advisor will also offer assistance and advice on legal issues, contact your family back in the U.S, help you obtain medical care and provide a list of English speaking lawyers.

Consular assistance will also aim to assist with emergency needs and direct you to local and U.S. crime and victim assistance resources. You can also contact the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747. You must be aware however that the U.S. embassy or consulate is unable to assist in investigating crimes, represent you in court or pay any legal fees.

In the event of an emergency evacuation the Department of State may provide assistance with transportation to U.S. citizens if commercial transport is unavailable. This will depend on the crisis situation and it is strongly advised that if a Travel Warning is issued you make every attempt to leave the country.

If your passport is lost or stolen while abroad a consular or U.S. Embassy advisor will assist you in replacing it. You will need to prove your identity and U.S. citizenship and will need to provide personal information including your full name and date of birth, your passport number and the date and place your passport was issued. It is advisable to report the theft of a passport to the local police.